Advice Centre

Careline -

How does it work?

The alarm unit operates over the telephone network. Equipment supplied by us plugs into an electrical socket and a telephone point. These need to be reasonably close together. We can check if your existing sockets are suitable, and advise if any alterations are necessary. We regret we cannot pay for any changes that may be required.

At our Careline offices, information provided and approved by you is held on computer and is instantly available so that effective action can be taken in any emergency. The moment a call is received, the operator will know your name, address, GP, next of kin and keyholder information. All information is confidential. CARELINE has access to mobile response teams who operate throughout the district. They are trained in first aid, and provide a backup to your named contacts. Mobile staff can assist in a simple emergency but are not able to perform “care tasks”.

Phone Bradford - (01274) 434994

Careline Centre

You can also e-mail for further information

Careline, 5 Canon Pinnington Mews

Attendance Allowance - rates and how to claim

Attendance Allowance is paid at two rates depending on how your disability affects you. The claim pack gives some examples of different levels of care needs. You can claim Attendance Allowance online.

Attendance Allowance Rates

Weekly rate

Higher rate - £71.40
Lower rate - £47.80

How to claim

Claim straight away - if you delay you may lose benefit.

You can claim online or get a claim pack by:

  • phoning the Benefit Enquiry Line 0800 88 22 00
  • downloading the form directly from attendance allowance
  • Benefits online serviceOpens new window
  • Call the Benefit Enquiry Line

This is a confidential freephone service for disabled people and carers. You can call the Benefit Enquiry Line and ask them to send you a claim pack. They can send you the claim pack in an alternative format if required - for example, Braille.

They can also arrange for someone to help you fill out the form if required. Please note that the person you speak to may need to arrange for someone to phone you back.

  • Telephone: 0800 88 22 00
  • Textphone: 0800 24 33 55
  • You can also use the Text Relay service.
  • The Benefit Enquiry Line is open from 8.30 am to 6.30 pm Monday to Friday and from 9.00 am to 1.00 pm on Saturday.

If you request a claim pack from the Benefit Enquiry Line, the date of your phone call will be treated as your date of claim from which Attendance Allowance can be paid, as long as you send your form back within six weeks of that date. If you delay making a claim, you may lose out on benefit.

The person taking your call will not have your personal papers but will be able to give you general advice. This advice must not be taken as a decision about your claim.

Direct Payments

What are Direct Payments?

Direct Payments are an alternative to receiving part or all of your services from Social Services and Bradford District Care Trust after your social care needs have been assessed. They give you money to arrange your own services to meet these needs.

Why would I want Direct Payments?

Because Direct Payments allow you to take more control of the decisions that affect your life. They are intended to give you more independence, flexibility and choice -- you are the one who decides how your assessed needs are met, by whom and at what time.

Will I be able to receive Direct Payments?

Yes -- if services are recommended after an assessment by Social Services, you or your child can be considered for Direct Payments.

If I’m offered Direct Payments, can I refuse?

Yes, remember Direct Payments are an alternative to services provided by Social Services – the choice is yours!

What can I spend the money on?

The money is for you to use for arranging the services the Care Manager / Social Worker has assessed that you need. The Direct Payments Support Officer can confirm exactly what it can or can’t be spent on.

Will I receive enough money to meet my needs?

The amount of money you receive will be based on your assessed needs. The Direct Payments Support Officer can help you to budget the money, to make sure you can pay for the care you need.

Whom do I employ?

A “Personal Assistant” to help you with your assessed needs. There are certain conditions about whom you can employ but you can discuss this with the Direct Payments Support Officer. You can also use Direct Payments to pay an agency to provide you with help to meet your assessed needs.

How do I get the money?

You need to set up a separate bank account for yourself, used only for Direct Payments. The Council pays the money straight into this account.

I’m concerned about becoming an employer

This is understandable. There’s a lot to set up at first, i.e. recruiting/advertising, job descriptions, contract of employment. You may also have to pay Income Tax & National Insurance contributions.

But there is help available!

As well as the Direct Payment Support Services there are support networks that will deal with any Tax & National Insurance contributions both by the employee and yourself. They will calculate the amounts, issue wage slips etc. There is a charge for this service but we allow for this in your Direct Payments so you won’t be out of pocket!

What if I decide to use an agency?

Then you won’t have the responsibilities of an employer -- instead you will just pay the agency directly by invoice.

Will I need to keep records of all this?

Yes, the money you receive is public money from the Council tax payer. You will have to keep a record of how you spend it.

Will I still be eligible for money from the Independent Living Fund?

If you meet the criteria of The Independent Living Fund, the money you receive from them won’t be affected by your Direct Payments.

Will I have to contribute anything?

We do have a charging policy for people who receive Home Care and Day Care services – how much you contribute will depend on your income. You will need to pay your calculated contribution into the separate bank account, because this will be deducted from the Direct Payment you receive.

Direct payments - 01274 438700